The case against a Wayne County man, accused of second degree arson in connection with a fire in the County Attorney's Office, has been sent to the grand jury. James Rigney, Jr., 18, appeared in Wayne District Court Monday afternoon for a preliminary hearing.

    Rigney is charged with second degree arson, third degree burglary, theft by unlawful taking under $500 and tampering with physical evidence. The charges stem from a suspicious fire that occurred May 22 at the Columbia Avenue office of Wayne County Attorney Tom Simmons.

    Rigney appeared in court Monday with public defender Brian Baker. Commonwealth's Attorney Matthew Leveridge stepped in as a special prosecutor replacing Simmons who would normally have conducted this type of hearing at the district court level.

    Leveridge called Brian Lewis, who is an arson investigator with 

Kentucky State Police, to provide testimony during the hearing. 

Lewis  stated that he was called to the fire scene on May 22, where 

he found that the front windows of the building had been broken out 

by bricks, which were located in the office.

    Lewis said the fire occurred on the left side of the building, which 

was in the area of the building occupied by the child support office. 

Lewis stated that no accelerant was found in the building.

    Lewis also stated that there was no solid evidence of an accidental cause for the fire.

    He testified that during the course of the investigation, the 

Monticello Police Department was contacted by an informant who stated that Rigney had broken out the windows, entered the building and took a microwave.  Detective Derek Lester recovered the microwave in the location provided by the informant, according to Lewis.

    Rigney was interviewed by Lewis, who said that the defendant told 

him that he had gone into the building and taken the microwave. 

Rigney also told officials that the fire was set to cover up the 

burglary, according to Lewis' testimony.

    During that interview, Rigney said he was in the building when the 

fire was set, but he said he did not set the fire.

    Lewis was then questioned by Baker. Lewis said that the informant contacted the Monticello Police Department on the weekend following the fire. A third person also provided information to the police regarding the fire as well, Lewis testified.

    According to Lewis' testimony on Monday afternoon, Rigney stated during his interview that his shirt was used to set the fire, but 

that the fire was actually started by the informant. Lewis said that 

investigators had been unable to find the shirt that Rigney was 

referring to.

    Following Lewis' statements, District Judge Scarlett Latham found 

probable cause in the case and sent it to the grand jury. She ruled 

that bond would remain the same at $25,000 cash or two times property on the felony charges.

    Rigney is also facing 14 misdemeanor charges of criminal mischief in connection with several incidents involving vehicles. Bond on those charges has been set at $14,000 cash. Court action on the misdemeanor charges was delayed until October.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.