Four children were injured following a vehicle stricking a building 
on South Main Street on March 5.


    A Wayne County man was arrested on Thursday, March 5 after the 
vehicle he was driving struck a building in downtown Monticello.
    Three children who were passengers in the vehicle were airlifted for 
medical treatment and a fourth child was taken to the Wayne County 
Hospital following the crash.
    David Wayne Rigney, 28, was charged with first degree assault, 
second degree assault, operating a motor vehicle under the influence 
of alcohol/drugs aggravating circumstances and reckless driving.
    According to a citation filed in the case, Rigney was driving the 
vehicle that crashed into the vacant building at approximately 8:52 
a.m. near the Farmers Market on South Main Street.
    Kentucky State Police Trooper Matthew Parmley, who was at City Hall 
when the call was received, is heading up the investigation.
    Parmley stated in the citation that when he arrived, Rigney was out 
of the vehicle and walking around. In the front passenger seat was a 
six-year-old boy, who was not in a seat belt or child seat.
    Parmley stated that the six-year-old had a severe laceration to his 
forehead from the impact he made with the rear view mirror and 
windshield. The child was flown from the scene to the University of 
Kentucky Medical Center.
    The citation said that there were three other children who were in 
the back seat, including a four-year-old girl, a two-year-old girl, 
and a four-month-old boy. The four-year-old, also not in a car seat, 
was treated and released at the Wayne County Hospital.
    The citation indicated that the two-year-old girl was flown to a 
Lexington hospital and the four-month-old boy was in a car seat, but 
it's believed he was not retrained because of the severity of the 
injury to his head and the large laceration about his eye. He was 
also flown to Lexington for treatment.
    In the citation, Parmley said that Rigney stated that he had 
overslept and was trying to get the kids to school. He said Rigney 
stated he was unsure what happened.
    Rigney refused a blood test and a search warrant was obtained, 
according to the citation.
    Rigney was lodged in the Wayne County Detention Center.
    He was arraigned in Wayne District Court on Monday, March 9 and 
entered not guilty pleas on all charges. A preliminary hearing in the case has been set for March 13.

This Week's Circulars

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.